Does lime repel insects

At the community garden some gardeners use lime on the veggie leaves. Does this deter insects? Will this affect the taste? Also will it do any harm to the plant? Thank you

Yes it will harm the plant especially burnt lime, CaO.

Hi, As a chemist you're a better writer ;0) and I hope you're not into baking. baking soda is sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide Ca (OH) L8R -_- how no NEWS is good

I wouldn't put lime on a plant, however i find that if there is an invasion of ants that if i draw a fine line of lime around the area i want to protect, the ants will not cross it. lee h
Oh yeah?
Scab ants will cross the line with impunity. The bastards.

Does
Oh well, some probably will, but if i ketch them crossing with some of that danged impunity, i'll treat them just like any other scab and scrape them off the face of the earth!<g>
wrote in message> > I wouldn't put lime on a plant, however i find that if there is an

No but its great in a gin and tonic!!!!
Most gardeners are sour on lemons too!