Does anyone know what this plant/weed is?

Hello everyone, I have three of these plants/weeds in my garden and am trying to find out exactly what it is. It has long red stems with leaves on opposite sides of the stem and has dark brown/black single berries. It seems to grow outwards rather than up. I have included a photo.
I have spent hours going through images on the internet but cant find it. Thank you so much for your help!
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: strange plant.jpg | |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 766| +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
--
CheshireCouple

On 02/03/2012 14:01, CheshireCouple wrote:

Looks like one of the Hypericums (St John's Wort) to me. If you haven't yet seen them, it will have yelllow flowers.
--

Jeff

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:01:21 +0000, CheshireCouple

Sure looks like Belladonna (Deadly nightshade). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atropa_belladonna
On 02/03/2012 16:42, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Atropa belladonna is a member of the Solanaceae. Members of this family have their leaves arranged alternately, not opposite (as in the OP's picture). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae#Description
--

Jeff

'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote: > ;952414']On 02/03/2012 16:42, Brooklyn1 wrote:-

> http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid 766|

> (http://tinyurl.com/aqmaom )-

> (http://tinyurl.com/25e2or )

Thank you so much for your comments, I think it might be Hypericum. I will be watching out for the yellow flowers to confirm. I hope it isnt deadly nightshade, just read about it and am scared!
CheshireCouple

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 00:26:59 +0000, CheshireCouple

Why would you be scared of deadly nightshade? Do you make a habit of picking weeds and eating them?
I only eat weeds I can positively identify. For instance, when I weed in the spring, I pluck wild radish sprouts, rinse them, and add them to salads. Stinging nettle is said to make a good soup, though I haven't tried.

Actually, I do. Many common garden weeds are edible, delicious and just as (or more so) nutricious as commonly grown greens.

Nettle makes a delicious potherb, much better than spinach IMO.
Steve Peek;952520 Wrote: > "Sean Straw" snipped-for-privacy@mail.professional.org wrote in message

> as

A friend of mine offered me some weeds to grow indoors. I am currently growing them now but they give off a very strong odour which fills the house. Im not sure what variety they are but they have pointy leaves, 7 or 9 on each stem. Any idea what they could be ? Im new to the whole gardening thing so dont really know much about them.
arry the plant

arry the plant;952558 Wrote: > A friend of mine offered me some weeds to grow indoors. I am currently > growing them now but they give off a very strong odour which fills the > house. Im not sure what variety they are but they have pointy leaves, 7 > or 9 on each stem. Any idea what they could be ? Im new to the whole > gardening thing so dont really know much about them.
They sound very similar to the ones I have growing in my conservatory..and while they look attractive, I have also decided to experiment and am currently drying some of the leaves to see if they retain their odour, they may even have some medicinal purpose.. I'll keep you posted...
WD
Wine Delilah