Does anyone have expeirence starting bulbs inside

I live in Alaska and didn't get my bulbs until after december, I read that you can start bulbs in spagnum in planters before you plant them after the frost. Will this help as the growing season can be short up here.

Jack

Reply to
armyguy

I have the same problem as you, and I'm near Homer, Alaska. I still have 3 feet of snow on the ground.

I don't know if this will work, but it's what I'm going to try:

pot up the bulbs in potting soil; put them in the bottom of the fridge or in the neighbor's root cellar or dig a hole in a snowbank and bury the pots. Let the bulbs grow some roots. (They can't freeze, but being buried in deep snow won't hurt them. A root cellar or fridge would be *great* if you have room in the fridge or access to a root cellar, garage, basement or something like that.)

When the ground thaws, I'll try to carefully transplant the bulbs into the ground.

I don't know if it'll work or not. My bulbs spent most of the winter in the fridge, in their bags. They're in the kitchen now, and are starting to sprout a little bit of green.

(We got tired of not having room for food. I have laying hens and have to store 10-12 dozen eggs/week in the fridge, between my market days, when I sell the eggs.)

A pot of Angelique tulips that I potted up and left in the fridge all winteris on my windowsill right now, in bloom. Pink doubles -- really nice, especially with so much snow still on the ground outside, but the pot of daffodils I forced just grew leaves -- no flowers yet. (?)

Jan Flora Homer, Alaska Zone 3 or 4, depending on who you ask

Reply to
Jan Flora

well, when I went down stairs (the "crawl space" gotta love alaska) I found that all my tulip and related bulbs had been attacked by something that looked like a fat brown aphid, I have lost at least half of them and guess that the garden will be of daffodils as those seem the only thing that survived.

I took the bulbs, shed the skins to get at the bug then sprayed them down with neem oil. Hope it works.

Jack P.s. it's easier to get to the heart by going under the ribcage at the sternal notch, however you will need at least a 2 1/2" blade and "push Hard"

An "S" cut is more preferred than twisting but they both do thier job

Reply to
armyguy