does anybody have experience with cutting branches on real tall trees???.

Page 2 of 2
Mark wrote:

I've done it before. Get a rope saw (I don't know what else to call it) It's like a chainsaw chain with a rope on each end and a little sandbag on one of the ropes. You throw it over the branch and saw it back and forth with the ropes. Works real slick, and not very expensive.
Don't let the branch fall on you.
Bob
Thanks a lot for all the advice to all the guys that participate in this discussion. . You are absolutely right. It is very foolish to start learning this type of skill climbing tall trees with a chain saw when medical insurance is so expensive and I do have dependents. Again, I appreciate it very much

Mark
Home owners do not belong cutting braches on ladders or larger than say 2" in diameter. I suggest that the job is best left to professionals. For your safety and the trees sake.
If you need suggestions on how to select an arborist go here: http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/quiz.html or an so-called expert http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/quiz-ma100.html
A must read and see book for anyone pruning (I suggest buying or library. You can ask your library to order books by Shigo) http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/TPRUNING.html
Another great tree care (basic) would be here: http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/MARBOR.html
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr. Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY! www.treedictionary.com
http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman / Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss. Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that will give them understanding.

I know how to cut branches on fake tall trees.
;-)

USDA Zone 8

Get a professional to do it. Seriously.

Mark, considering all the other questions you've asked in this newsgroup, I have to ask the following :
Do you have a public library available? What is the name of the library? I don't mean the "Helen Toodaloo Memorial Branch Library", but is it part of a larger public system that has a name? I'm asking because the best thing we could do for you would be for us to search your library's online system, if one exists, and recommend some books for you. You're trying to obtain many years worth of knowledge in a week. It can't be done. You need to consult books from various authors, see where they agree and disagree, and draw your own conclusions. Gardening and managing property is like going to college forever. There's no way around it.
By the way, how big is the branch you want to cut, and why do you want to cut it?