Do you compost?

Page 4 of 5

If teachers spoon fed your kids or grandkids instead of teaching them how to learn, you'd be bitching about it. Why make exceptions for adults?

Unfortunately, exactly what many people today most want, is to be spoon fed predigested easy answers without having to work, think, or make decisions for themselves.
Janet

Question: If I was to do this, would I be as smart as you some day?
Steve
wrote

That depends. How old are you, and did you ever have a teacher who wouldn't put up with bullshit like yours?
wrote

I'm 59, retired, and yes/no. The education system has a lot of good teachers, and some who needed to be burger flippers, but who would have done poorly at that as well.
Steve
Kids know how to learn....

Kids know how to learn....they ask questions

My teachers wouldn't answer questions whose answers were in the chapter I was asked to read the night before. Some said "That was in last night's reading," while others asked questions which made us think harder. Spoon feeding people is like giving them a fish. Teaching them to do research is like teaching them to fish.

And biting on a troll's hook makes one a fish. The OP is very obviously a troll... he didn't actually ask any questions that have answers.

I'm not so sure he's a troll. Just misguided, that's all. Sort of like the person who once posted a real classic in rfc: "Can I make lasagna at home? How?"

And another overly educated old fart makes the file.

How (using words) do you define "overly educated"?

Thank you. You are a jewel.
Steve
"SteveB" wrote:

Actually she's merely patronizing you... Gloria could have practiced what she preached... but instead she used the opportunity to do what she apparently does best: kissy ass. And you fall all over yourself thanking and paying her homage. Oy

I am a slob gardener -- which means I do just enough to get the job done, but I don't try to make work for myself. Years ago, I used to do heap composting, and yes, it worked, and it worked nicely.
Now I mostly do trench composting -- dig a trench between a couple of rows in the veggie garden, toss in materials to be rotted (disease free, as this method doesn't produce hot enough temperatures to kill spores). and cover with a little soil. When you run out of trench, dig another. Let rot. Replant next year.
Suggested reading: Rodale Complete Book of Composting if you want all the whys and wherefores and how to do it just rights. Suggested reading otherwise: http://compost.css.cornell.edu/Composting_homepage.html
Yard waste just gets mulched with the mower; branches get hauled out into a little bit of woodland to rot on their own.

Google is your friend. TONS of info on there....
Tried it in vain. Composting would be great here, if it were allowed to work as advertised. Ants are the problem. Any kitchen leftovers with vegetable or animal protein is promptly attacked and drug off. Includes immediate burial stuff. The ants won't go away, tried Amdro etc. They keep coming back like Michael Myers. No, not building/buying an elevated compost bin.
--
Dave
Profound is we're here due to a chance arrangement
Dioclese wrote:

YOU need to read up on composting. No animal proteins, no animal fats! Compost piles are not garbage heaps, and vice versa.
<patience is required, too>
My point being is that doesn't matter. The ants get it either anyway. No, I don't need to read up. Am familiar.
--
Dave
Profound is we're here due to a chance arrangement

Yes.
As much as you want to put into it. I turn the pile every few weeks.
How often are you supposed to turn it?

Damp is better.

I do. Try Googling "compost."

To JoeSpareBedroom, do you see how easy that was?
Thank you, Manelli Family..
Gloria