Do thorns decompose?

My daughter (age 6) asked that as we trimmed the wild raspberries back (yet again).

I find sources on line that say no or poorly. I'd try the experiment with her, but she's a little young for a multiple year experiment. And previous trimmings are not easily accessible - I've been taking them to the dump to keep them out of my compost piles.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Yes, they do.

The same as any other woody plant material.

Bacteria are amazing critters that can metabolize any organic material, including crude oil and plastics. Cellulose is not a problem for them.

Reply to
Cereus-validus.......

I have blackberries and before I prune them I drag a Scotch pad, those green scruffy pads for pots and non-stick surfaces, up and down the stems to open the thorns (so to speak). It helps give the bacteria and fungi a place to enter and they decompose MUCH faster this way. Otherwise, they will decompose eventually, but it takes a very long time and if you reach into the pile you will get stuck up to a year later. Especially if there are hard core thorns like Rosa rugosa. Ouch!

Victoria

Reply to
Bourne Identity

They decompose fine. Yes, it really helps if the vines are opened up to bacteria. If you don't have a shredder, pile them up in your driveway and crush them with your car by driving over the pile a few times.

Fritz

Reply to
Fritz Oppliger

Thank you all!

I suspect they will keep going to the dump - I just don't have room for a brush pile.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Any estimates as to how long it might take some gnarly rose thorns to decompose? A year? 6 months? Never:\

Reply to
Thank you, Martha