Do soaker hoses stop soaking after a while?

Do soaker hoses stops soaking after a while? Do they clog up after many years of sitting outside all year long in a location that freezes?

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Well, my hoses qualify for "several" years, if not "many". I'm in peninsular Florida, where duration of freezing temps is minutes or hours, not days, and we typically have few consecutive nights with freezing lows. Obviously, I cannot address the issue of wintertime: My zone simply does not have winter as most of North America knows it. I irrigate from a well and, if the buildup in my plumbing, water heater and kettle are any indication, it has some serious quantities of limestone dissolved/suspended in it. If this material gets deposited in the soaker hoses, it (so far) has produced no noticeable reduction in output. FWIW: I directly measure the output of each hose before installing it into a bed for the season. Output is easily adjusted by means of hose washers with variously sized orifices, provided the source pressure is well-regulated. I use a cheapo "Mister Mister" inline 25 p.s.i. regulator from a handyhomeowner store. However, the soaker hoses definitely are affected by prolonged exposure to the sun. Because they are constructed from reclaimed motor vehicle tires, soaker hoses are not exactly paragons of flexibility and, after a few years' exposure to hot spring and summer sun, some of the hoses break if bent into a small-radius curve. The same absence of flexibility makes breaks difficult to repair because the material will not expand to accomodate a repair splice (hose barb), for example; instead, it splits along its length. I have found, though, that short pieces of el cheapo foreign-made 3/8" I.D. PVC pipe work well as repair splices without altering the hose's output. The most consistent problem, if it is one, is the development of pinholes that produce tiny sprays of water, which sort of defeats the purpose of soaker hoses. However, these are of a scale as to be minor annoyances and not "problems", although, it certainly can be irritating to see a tiny spray of wasted water arcing out from a bed into a pathway. That stretchy rubber adhesive plumber's tape repairs them well-enough, though.

Reply to
Derald