Do Snapdragons Self-Seed Easily?

They must, because I did not plant any this year!

Yes, they do, I've got babies out there growing, too.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

Reseeding of snapdragons must depend on climate, or pollinators, or watering conditions. We've had snapdragons twice out here in our garden (central California, USDA zone 9, Sunset zone 16) and they have never reseeded.
+-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+ | Ladasky Home Solar, Inc.: blowing sunshine up your | | power grid since March 24, 2005. Fiat lux! | +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+ | Uptime Downtime kWh generated kWh consumed | | 465 days none 8602 8816 | +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

Could be they need a cold cycle (we get plenty of that around here) before they germinate.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On 7/5/06 5:02 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

I've actually had a few over winter as well!
Cheryl

Yes, they're half-hardy perennials actually, I've had them overwinter, too.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Me, too. I was pulling them as weeds until I figured it out. Now I'm transplanting to redistribute.
Adelle Northwest of Boston Zone 5 according to maps, but everything blooms later on my property.
expounded:

I'd like to know how you manage it! I grew masses of snapdragons from supermarket seedlings, and then harvested thousands of seeds when they had dried. Both that summer and the next I planted lots, anticipating a self-perpetuating mass of blooms til eternity: very dark seeds for the red flowers, and lighter seeds from showey yellow blooms. Not one seedling came up!! I tried a few different conditions, still nothing.
I could only conclude they were a hybrid that doesn't give rise to viable seeds. How disappointing. I'd convinced myself that I was set to never buy another packet of snapdragon seeds again. That would be Frugal with a capital F!!!

Where are you located?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann writes:

Sydney, Australia. But thanks for the offer, just the same. :-)

It is good to see you back on the newsgroup, John.

Leon Trollski wrote:

It depends a lot on the weather. If you have a fairly mild winter they may re-seed.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years