Do i let Santa Rosa plums ripen on tree?

I have a nice crop of Santa Rosa plums due to the rare cold snap last winter in Southern Calif. Should i allow them to ripen on the tree or pick them and let them sweeten up in the house?They are a good size and firm with full color, but still sour. Also, what is the white powder on the skin? I think it's a normal thing. It's not mildew. It sort of looks like a protective cover to refelect the sunlight so the skin doesn't burn. Not sure. Anyone know? Thanks.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

All plums get that dusty bloom on their skin, as do grapes. I think it's a fungus that lives on the sugar that gets through the skin from within the ripening fruit. Quite harmless. I think it's called must, though my Macquarie Dict will have none of it! Nor does it mention elephants ...

-- John Savage (my news address is not valid for email)

Reply to
John Savage

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to read up on must. Cherers, Bob.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

I did a search. It is called plum bloom and it is a protective coating that prevents the fruit from drying out,

Reply to
shareyourknowledge