Do Any Plants Live after winter?

You see, I am not very observant. I never notice if anything in my garden makes it past winter.
Can anyone help me?

perennials. And apparently you have no grass to mow either..........There is no way that you are that oblivious. You're trolling. Try another newsgroup. "Plonk!" madgardener

Actually there is a theory by, not sure I have names right, D. Bess Lyare and Ponti Mython that says all plants die during the winter and only come back because they are repropagated from seeds carried by migratory swallows.
Swallows are too small to carry large seeds or seed vessels, such as a coconut, and this is why coconuts do not usually grow in cold places.
Is that a European swallow or an African swallow?

It would have to be european, since african swallows are non-migratory. A better question would be what the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow is.
Toad
from snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Marley1372) contains these words:

The (only) swallows in Europe are migratory. They arrive here every summer from Africa, breed in Europe, and depart from Europe every autumn, back to Africa for the winter. They therefore have ample opportunity to import large seeds to the frozen north if their air-baggage weight allowance permitted.
Janet (Scotland, in Europe).

When I first heard the theory a long time ago, I asked the same question on rec.birds. Most of them agreed that African swallows could possibly carry a coconut, but do not migrate. Then they started arguing about technical details like what the air speed velocity of a swallow carrying a coconut would need to be and I stopped paying attention, although there was one interesting (East) Indian guy who would repeat substantially the same message in several different postings. Apparently this a common disease spread by buying stuff like Adirondack chairs over the Internet. Anyway, he claimed that if he could figure out a way to get swallows or teams of swallows to migrate and carry coconuts, he would start a coconut and neem products export business. I wonder what ever happened to him.
good theory Salty thumb! maddie

Thanks. I can't really take credit though. I heard it on business trip in Africa. I trying to find out if it would be profitable to import elephant dung for use as a soil amendment. The guy that told me the theory also told me that elephant dung was okay, but bull shit is much easier to spread around. ;-)
<< I never notice if anything in my garden makes it past winter. Can anyone help me? >>
If you are not trolling, I suggest this spring you go out & look at your garden carefully. Then come back & ask us. Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Our garden is beautiful here in Zone 6. We have:
winterberry holly with red berries - ilex verticillata
witch hazel with flowers - hamamelis virginiana
lenten rose is preparing to bloom - helleborus varieties
rhododendrons with fall foilage - especially PJM
red twig and yellow twig dogwoods add color to the garden
spring bulbs preparing to burst into bloom
trees preparing to burst into bloom
evergreen holly keeps their berries all winter.

Ok, it was all just silly trolling. Sorry. Won't do it again. I just can't believe anyone bothered responding.
Now buck up and seek out that professional help, troll boy.