Do Any Plants Live after winter?

You see, I am not very observant. I never notice if anything in my garden makes it past winter.

Can anyone help me?

Reply to
Joe

You must have no trees, no shrubs and only plant annuals then. Try perennials. And apparently you have no grass to mow either..........There is no way that you are that oblivious. You're trolling. Try another newsgroup. "Plonk!" madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

"madgardener" wrote in news:41e2b47d snipped-for-privacy@news.vic.com:

Actually there is a theory by, not sure I have names right, D. Bess Lyare and Ponti Mython that says all plants die during the winter and only come back because they are repropagated from seeds carried by migratory swallows.

Swallows are too small to carry large seeds or seed vessels, such as a coconut, and this is why coconuts do not usually grow in cold places.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

If you are not trolling, I suggest this spring you go out & look at your garden carefully. Then come back & ask us. Iris, Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40 "A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

Reply to
Iris Cohen

Is that a European swallow or an African swallow?

Reply to
Cereus-validus...

Reply to
madgardener

Our garden is beautiful here in Zone 6. We have:

winterberry holly with red berries - ilex verticillata

witch hazel with flowers - hamamelis virginiana

lenten rose is preparing to bloom - helleborus varieties

rhododendrons with fall foilage - especially PJM

red twig and yellow twig dogwoods add color to the garden

spring bulbs preparing to burst into bloom

trees preparing to burst into bloom

evergreen holly keeps their berries all winter.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

ahhhhh I can see the deep red berries against the green pointy leaves very well!

I have the variety "Diane" which has red flowers....now I have to go back outside and see if she has unfurled her buds today.........

And since writing my ramble, I need to see if buds are forming on the clumps of Helleborus I have tucked here and there..............

despite that rhodies love it here enough to be a native shrub up in the mountains across from me, I can't get any to live for me. I'm attempting to get "Flame" azalea to survive for me which is a native here, and if that works, I'll hunt for a more cast iron rhod to put into my dry woods. Winter bones are essential!

You have stirred my memory that the yellow twig that survived is down in the first woods room of my chaos, you have inspired me to wander! Thank you Steve!

I have so many noses up all over and in every pot I'm actually stressing that frigid temperatures will nip their shows of flowers now. We're due for a cold snap now behind this false spring. Today's highs are predicted to be upper 60's. I don't believe it. It's overcast and unless the sun comes out to shine all day, I think it'll stay to the upper 50's and low 60's like it is now. (58o and holding a degree or two)

I tend to agree with you on that too...my Cornelia cherry is loaded with buds that give me the first blossoms, and it's straining to begin. I hope it holds back. Last year I had just a few "cherries" on the small tree and woul d love to see it covered in late summer with them. Only if we have no freezes will I experience this.

Since my neighbor who shares the driveway has a massive holly with berries on it, I enjoy his and dig up their daughters out of my woods. I'll leave one or two to keep of the larger ones, but they can be a weed sometimes.

madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

It would have to be european, since african swallows are non-migratory. A better question would be what the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow is.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

"madgardener" wrote in news:41e3a060$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.vic.com:

Thanks. I can't really take credit though. I heard it on business trip in Africa. I trying to find out if it would be profitable to import elephant dung for use as a soil amendment. The guy that told me the theory also told me that elephant dung was okay, but bull shit is much easier to spread around. ;-)

Reply to
Salty Thumb

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in news:saKEd.7962$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

When I first heard the theory a long time ago, I asked the same question on rec.birds. Most of them agreed that African swallows could possibly carry a coconut, but do not migrate. Then they started arguing about technical details like what the air speed velocity of a swallow carrying a coconut would need to be and I stopped paying attention, although there was one interesting (East) Indian guy who would repeat substantially the same message in several different postings. Apparently this a common disease spread by buying stuff like Adirondack chairs over the Internet. Anyway, he claimed that if he could figure out a way to get swallows or teams of swallows to migrate and carry coconuts, he would start a coconut and neem products export business. I wonder what ever happened to him.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Marley1372) contains these words:

The (only) swallows in Europe are migratory. They arrive here every summer from Africa, breed in Europe, and depart from Europe every autumn, back to Africa for the winter. They therefore have ample opportunity to import large seeds to the frozen north if their air-baggage weight allowance permitted.

Janet (Scotland, in Europe).

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Ok, it was all just silly trolling. Sorry. Won't do it again. I just can't believe anyone bothered responding.

Reply to
Joe

Now buck up and seek out that professional help, troll boy.

Reply to
Cereus-validus...