Do All Onions Act This Way?

This is my first year growing onions. I'm growing Copra storage onions. Planted the onion sets a week ago. I noticed the tops are bending over and trying to bury themselves in the ground. Some of the tops buried themselves so deep that it uprooted the actual onion bulb. Each day now I check for buried tops and gently pull them back out so they are above the ground. Is this a normal thing that onions do?
Rich
Just bringing this post back up hoping for an answer to this onion problem :)
Rich
White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

No.
--
- Billy
On 4/29/2010 8:42 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

Is there any chance they got sprayed with 2,4-d weed killer?
Bob
zxcvbob wrote:

Whether that's right or not, Bob, you deserve a hat tip. Never thought of that, but it does sound like it could, indeed, have been 2,4-d poisoning.
Tony
Nope, no weed killer at all. I got the onion sets one day and planted them the next. They were planted in the same place that I grew tomatoes last season. This is really strange and sure has me puzzled about the onions.
Rich
EVP MAN wrote:

You didn't plant them upside-down did you? ;-)
Bob
Put the bulb in the ground with the green part up! LOL