Dividing lavender question

Any advice on dividing lavender (Munstead, I think)?
I've got it interplanted with my grape hyacinths, which should be coming up soon. (I'm in zone 5). I'm thinking of waiting until the grape hyacinths die down, and then dividing the lavender. Right now I've got 3 clumps of lavender, and I want to spread them out more evenly, still interspersed with the grape hyacinths.
Does this make sense, or should I time it differently?
Irene
You can't "divide' a lavendar since it's really a small shrub. I haven't tried it, bou can take stem cuttings to make more plants.
If you have a tight clump of lavender then separate them as soon as possible so they have time to grow into nice mounds. Grape hyacinths are tough, I've moved them accidentally in early spring and some still gave flowers. You might want to dig after flowering though. Get in there before the leaves die down or you won't know where they are and spear some.

Lavender can't be divided, it's a small shrub. You can propogate it from tip cuttings, or by layering.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

a perennial, since I always read about it with herbs and not anywhere else. I guess I'll try cuttings...
Irene