dividing iris

My iris didn't bloom because they got hailed on. Should/can they be divided? You're not supposed to divide them until after they bloom. The hail-stomped were budding multitudinously, but does that count as blooming?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Delete the obvious to reply to me personally. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to
Lobo

I divide iris at any time, even in full bloom, with it suffering no ill effects. The best time to divide most corm/tuber plants is any time after a good rain when the ground is wet and soft. These plants store most of their energy in their roots so they don't become damaged very easily... I've dug them up and just left them on the ground where they lay for more than two weeks before planting them and they perked right up within a couple three days. Iris is kinda like a potato, it can be laying around for many weeks looking totally dead and all of a sudden just sprouts.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Yes, they are very tough. But what I've heard is that if you divide them before they bloom, the divided ones won't bloom the next year. Lobo ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Delete the obvious to reply to me personally. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to
Lobo

I divide when bare-root rhizomes are available in local nurseries. I generally wait until the second week of availability. That's the prime time to plant them, so it is also a good time to divide them. They should be replanted as soon as possible after dividing. I divide and replant a clump all in one day, before doing the next clump.

See my .

Reply to
David E. Ross