Dividing Huge Hosta

I bought a Hosta 'Blue Angel' perhaps six years ago and it has been quite happy in a bright corner between the house and front porch. Last Autumn I noticed that there were two stems (or perhaps trunks as this thing is huge) and figured that I probably should divide it but I let time go by and forgot about it. A week ago I was cleaning the dead leaves from that corner and noted that there are now _five_ of them coming up. One or two is really enough to fill that entire corner.

Is it too late now to think about dividing it? Will I simply cause troubles for the original plant(s) by dividing so late?

Reply to
John McGaw

No problem dividing now.

I've done so, spring, summer, fall. I don't think the plant cares.

Reply to
Dan Espen

On 13 Apr 2015, Dan Espen wrote in rec.gardens:

Those things are almost unkillable. I wouldn't hesitate, either.

Reply to
Nil

I finally did get around to dividing the clump in two but delayed too much and everything was out in huge leaves already. It made the process much more difficult and damaged a few leaves but the original and the division both seem to be doing well now.

Reply to
John McGaw

It's best to snip off the two thirds of the larger leaves after planting your hosta divisions.... you want the roots to grow, new leaves will soon follow. There's no need to dig up the entire clump, simply make divisions with a trowel.. try not to disturb the parent plant. It's much easier to divide hosta when its roots are well watered for a couple days prior as hosta leaves tend to shed water away from its roots so you may find the soil surrounding the roots bone dry... lift the leaves and slowly/gently soak the root area so as not to wash away soil.

Reply to
Brooklyn1