Dividing Hostas Early

Is there anything wrong with dividing and replanting hostas before they have actally come up for spring? I know one should do it before thay quite unfurl, but can I do it even before that?
Thanks much

I break them when I want. Main problem here is mole/vole. I usually give a plant a few years then tear it apart. Certain special types get more attention. In time more qualify as special ;))
Bill
Planted Helbores and fern's and caladium's in a bed. Treat the latter as an annual.
--
Zone 5 In South Jersey USA Shade
Consider Hearing all sorts of music at http://xpn.org/

Yes. Dig, divide, and replant. It should be fine.