distance between FRUIT trees, and fertilisation

We just cut down a few worthless trees (with some harrowing experiences) and are going to plant some useful, productive trees such as apples, cherries etc. They will be in a row about 10-12 feet from the fence. In the next row (right next to the fence) will be occupied by shrubs such as black currant and gooseberries and such.

My question is, what are the guidelines for distance between these plants.

Second question. The trees that we are cutting down are deciduous (with spikes instead of leaves) (I hope that I got it right) and the soil is not that great. Would it be a good idea to completely till the area and dump a few dozen sacks of topsoil in the area.

Third question. The trees that we are planting, for the first year, will be pretty small with a small root system. Sould it be prudent to plant potatoes for that first year, between trees but at a few feet distance from them. Would hate to see this tilled space go unused.

Ignoramus8790

A cordon is the name given to any fruiting plant that is kept to a single stem with fruiting spurs along its whole length. Apples and pears grown as cordons are usually trained at an angle of

45degrees. Gooseberries produce fantastically as upright cordons and need only the width of a hoe [ignore those who will try to tease]between them. Red currants also. Blackcurrants cannot be grown as cordons. Best Wishes Brian
Reply to
Brian

Okay, thanks, I am now trying to translate this into something that I understand.

How about this:

12 feet between fruit trees (apple, cherry etc)

6 feet between berry shrubs.

Please forgive my poor english, it is not my native language.

Ignoramus8790

Here are some numbers for you of recommended distances between fruit trees:

Apple (standard) 30 ft. Apple (semidwarf) 15 ft. Apple (dwarf) 10 ft. Pear (standard) 20 ft. Pear (semidwarf) 15 ft. Cherry(sweet) 20 ft. Cherry(tart) 15 ft. Apricot 20 ft. Peach/Nectarine 15 ft. Plum 15 ft.

My source is Stella Otto's book, 'The BackYard Orchardist".

Sherw>

Reply to
Sherwin Dubren