Disheartened

Page 2 of 2

Since you've nixed the bow hunting idea, try something that worked for me, for almost 3 months: Irish Spring bar soap. Get some knee-hi hosiery and empty 1 quart yogurt or cottage cheese containers. Punch hole in bottom of container big enough for a wire to pass through. Put soap in knee-hi, tie shut with wire. Pass wire through hole and pull the soap assembly up into the container, so you have something like a bell with the soap in place of the knocker. This protects the soap from rain. Hang a few of these around the most vulnerable or valuable plants. If you get a LOT of rain, you might want to seal the wire holes with a little silicone caulk.
This has stopped working for me after 3 months. Not sure if the soap has lost most of its pungent scent, or the deer just don't care any more. But, the nibbling they're doing now doesn't seem to be hurting anything, and it's the end of the season anyway. I'll try it again in the spring.
"Doug Kanter" wrote in message >

guess that the scent has dissipated after three months so it would pay to change the bars. I wish these deer weren't hurting anything here; I have been nursing a young bush for three years and the deer keep nipping off all the shoots.
Dora

Of course, there's always a maze of fence material to deter monsters. I've got tunnel shaped fence wire annoyances over beds of greens, or spots where new seed has been sown. They're held down with tent stakes. They dissuaded every mammal here, except the occasional squirrel that burrows under for no particular reason.

I think it would be wonderful to have all these animals in your yard. But I understand your disappointment. Maybe you should have a wildlife park instead of a garden. "IF YOU CAN'T BEAT 'EM, JOIN 'EM"
Jen