Disappointing Dahlias and Crumby Crocosmia

Despite a good showing from much of my garden this year, I was disappointed that my dahlias and my crocosmia (Lucifer) put on a lackluster performance. I only got one dahlia plant to bloom at all this year, an Amy's star. The rest got quite large in size, but did not flower at all. Not yet anyway. What could have caused the non-blooming, doyasuppose?
This is my first year with crocosmia, and out of five bladed stalks, only one ever bloomed. Do they have some additional requirements that I'm unaware of?
-Fleemo in Zone 10
Zone 10, most likly they got to hot during the summer, they do like it a bit cooler.
-- "In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and along the path he once had followed, man would one day go again."
Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars
SIAR www.starlords.org Freelance Writers Shop http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com Telescope Buyers FAQ http://home.inreach.com/starlord