Diging up shrubs

I have a chance at some nice shrubs. Problem is that they been planted about

2-3 years ago. I heard most shrubs growing for that long are hard to replant becouse of you have to get all the roots or they will die. Anyone on here have any ideas on all to keep them alive when replanting them. thank you.
Reply to
Romy Beeck

They can definitely be transplanted, but this is the worst possible time to do it. It is much better to go in now with a sharp shooter shovel and start pruning the roots all around the shrubs all summer. Keep doing that by making a trench of sorts around it and in the fall after all heat is gone, move the shrubs. Yes, do take as much as the root ball with the soil in tact.

Reply to
escapee

Here's whet I do professionally for all shrubs... General rule is to the degree the fine roots are removed is to the degree one removes leaves. Error on the side of too many leaves removed. leave branches. Generally on old shrubs and loose soil that falles apart leaveing few fine roots, I remove all leaves. One could theoretically mist the plant just like when cuttings are misted until they root. But you may not have the setup to do that! the bare stems do contain chlorophyl and continue to make energy for the plant. The reason for leaf removal is that is where the plant loses lots of water to evaporation and cooling. Also check around for local nurseries or hardwares that carry bagged amendment or organic potting soil that has organic goodies like kelp, rock dust, and especially beneficial fungi (Funguses) that actually connect to the roots and act like root hairs and take in moisture, plus give the plant other factors that give the plant a glow of health. Don't fertilize with the "usual" fertilizers. Too much nitrogen and the bacteria have a ball rotting and breaking down any(well a lot of types and states or condiions) plant tissue.Tony

Reply to
Tony Z