Diggin taters

Gonna dig up my potatos , whats the best way to store them to keepem fresh?

Reply to
jerry

First off, I wash mine. Then I let them air dry. Then I take them downstairs where it stays relatively cool and lay then on a shelf constructed of chicken wire attached to a wooden frame and attached to the wall. I lay them on the chicken wire without letting them touch each other. That way they can get air to all sides of each of them. They last me a long time that way. Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

Personally, if I really want to keep potatoes fresh, I don't dig them until I absolutely must because the ground is in danger of freezing. If there is not option except digging, the potatoes may be kept fresh (if you mean retain new potato quality) by putting them in a plastic bag and into a refrigerator. This will work for a month or twp. If you dig them and don't have adequate refrigerator space, be sure to place them in the coolest place possible where there is totally darkness. Light causes potatoes to turn green.

John

Reply to
B & J