Deterring Cats from Garden Beds

We currently have a stray cat who has set up shop in our back yard. I actually enjoy his company as I stroll around the garden. He follows me everywhere, examining the latest blooms with me, and has become a bit of a chum. However, he's using my raised beds as his litterbox and the stink is getting bad. What are effective deterrents to keep him from using my garden beds as a bathroom? I don't want to shoo him away entirely, but instead, inspire him to poop somewhere besides my garden beds. Is sprinkling Cayanne Pepper in the beds effective? What about a cocoa mulch? I'd rather not put down netting, as it seems it'd be difficult for thicker-stemmed flowers (like dahlias) to grow through it.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Google "cat garden". If he's got his own cat-friendly place then he may not use the beds.
--John
yeah.. big planting of catnip somewhere else. you might try chicken wire laying flat as they may not like the sensation of their paws going thru the chicken wire. Ingrid

Thanks for the input.
-F
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 20:40:21 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

First thing I'd do is have him spayed or neutered. Then you can use rose canes with thorns in the spot where he goes. Sometimes putting a clean litter box out there works, but it has to be kept clean daily