destructiveness of ornamental tree

Last fall, I planted a Japanese Tree Lilac in my front lawn...it is currently 7 feet high and is supposed to get between 15-25 feet. However being a total newbie, I didn't consider where my sewer line is and I think I may have planted the tree nearly on top of it.
Since its only an ornamental tree, should I be worried and possibly remove or move the tree?
Home is 50 years old...neighbor's sewer just backed up the other week.
Thanks, Mike

You may have problems, or you may not. It depends:
How deep the sewer line is compared to how deep the tree roots usually grow.
If the sewer line is the old style (creamic pipe with joints every few feet) or the newer plastic with few joints.
If the former, do the joints leak? If 20-30 yrs old, probably yes.
Has the sewer line ever been replaced? If relatively recently, its plastic. Are there any cleanouts in your lawn? If so, are they plastic?
If you don't want to take chances, or you know the sewer line is old, move the tree.
--
Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67

From experience in an older house, you may have root problems in your sewer line. We have to flush copper sulfate once a month and have our sewer line roto-rootered once a year from roots from a tree that was taken out years ago.
What I recommend before planting large things like trees is to call your local utilities and have them mark the lines. I'm very glad we did or we would have planted a tree right over our gas line.
As for being over your sewer line, even beyond getting roots in it, imagine if you need to have work done i the future - you will need to dig up the tree! I would recommend moving it now, and call to have your lines marked before you plant!
Meagan