Dehydrated Cow Manure

The cow manure you buy in 40 pound bags at hardware stores, I'm thinking of adding to my vegetable bed. I'm wondering if it will burn my young plants? I want to till it into the soil along with some all purpose granular fertilizer and compost about 6 weeks before I plant the bed. Also, how many pounds of manure should I ad for every 100 sq ft?
Rich
EVP MAN wrote:

No but the chemfert will if it is too strong. Allowing 6 weeks rest it will be OK if you don't overdo it.
I want to till it into the soil along with some all

I don't know in terms of weight but I spread horse and cow about 5cm (2in) thick and turn it in (or not).
David
On the slow release fertilizer granules they call for 5 pounds per 100 sq ft. Perhaps I should cut that in half when adding the cow manure also. It's 4-6-4 fertilizer.
Rich
On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:30:22 -0500, White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) wrote:

Although somewhat low in nutrition numbers, cow manure can indeed burn young plants. A bag every 100 sq feet tilled in sounds about right, much less if not tilled in. I found using both manure and inorganic fertilizers when tilling give the bestter yielding plants. You still got to be careful, some plants, like peppers, are sensitive to too much nitrogen.

Production Practices and Sample Costs to Produce Chili Pepper Chicken manure (three to four tons per acre) is custom applied a week or more prior to listing (tilling). http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/Research/chili.html
100 sq.ft. = 0.0022956841 acre. 8,000#/acre = 18.37#/ 100 sq.ft.
Manure Chicken Diary cow N 1.1 .257 P .80 .15 K .50 .25
1.1Chicken/.257Cow = 4.28
4.26 X 4.28 = 78.6236 lbs cow./100 sq. ft.
Make that 2 forty lb. bags / 100 sq. ft.

Production Practices and Sample Costs to Produce Chili Pepper Chicken manure (three to four tons per acre) is custom applied a week or more prior to listing (tilling). http://www.sfc.ucdavis.edu/Research/chili.html
100 sq.ft. = 0.0022956841 acre. 8,000#/acre = 18.37#/ 100 sq.ft.
Manure Chicken Diary cow N 1.1 .257 P .80 .15 K .50 .25
1.1Chicken/.257Cow = 4.28
18.37 X 4.28 = 78.6236 lbs cow./100 sq. ft.
Make that 2 forty lb. bags / 100 sq. ft.

This bed is virgin soil and never planted before. Perhaps I should go light on all the amendments. I do have quite a bit of leaf mold from last falls leaves that will also be added. I thought that perhaps the addition of the leaf mold which is brown material may deplete the soil of nitrogen. This is my main reason for adding the manure and also the general purpose granular fertilizer.
Rich

No it won't burn.