defense against squirrels and chipmunks

Aside from a cat and bb gun, is there anything I can put in my garden to keep the chipmunks and squirrels from digging up my bulbs? I have a mixture of Narcissus Jack Snipe and crocuses. I stayed away from tulips and lilies as I read these are their favorites.
thanks
I find regular old chicken wire works well against squirrels and chipmunks. But a bit tighter mesh will work better since it also deters mice and voles. I have found that narcissus doesn't need any protection, but crocus are known as "chipmunk candy" around here.
You can either make an underground "basket with a lid" around your bulbs if you plant them in small groupings, or you can just lay some chicken wire overtop the already planted garden bed and tack it down with rocks or "wire staples" (I use pieces of bent wire clothes hangers).
This defense has worked well for me...still have the tulips I planted five years ago.
BT

I have waged war on squirrels this year, and I am still inundated by them. I talked to the game commision, and they said it was not a problem to shoot them as long as they were causing damage and on my property. I have 2 types of squirrels. The common gray and ther Fox squirrels. I don;t fool with the fox, but this year alone I have shot over 50 of the gray squirrels and there is still a heap of em out there yet. Fortunately I live in the country, so shooting them is not a problem as it may be in a populated area. I had trapped some for awhile, but it was a never ending battle setting and unloading the traps, and having to relocate the critters. The 50 I have shot do not include the ones I carted away after catching them in live traps.
They come right in my hen houses and rob the eggs, eat through bags of feed, and dig up the yard burying acorns. They clipped my gardens new growth numerous times, and have all but destroyed most of the wild bird nests. The have destroyed all my birdhouses, by enlarging the entry holes, so they can fit inside. They are even eating their way into my attic, by gnawing through the screen thats used to cover the louvers in the gables.
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:27:48 GMT, "seepnezorf1"

-- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http://www.nospamfrugalmachinist.com snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address
I used blood meal too and it seems to work for a short time. You might have to keep spreading some around.