Deer resistant vegetables?

I live in New Jersey and have learned what flowers and shrubs deer will decimate. By painful experience I now know what to plant for foliage/flowers in the yard.

I am getting into growing vegetables. I would like to know what vegetables they eat and do not eat.

I have noticed that thy will not eat my Asparagus.

Any suggestions for veggies they will/will not eat?

thanks,

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Most herbs are safe. Also anything from the garlic/onion family is left untouched by deer. I just repaired the electric fence to my vegetable garden, bad diode to the solar collector.

Reply to
Phisherman

've had good success with boarders of English lavender

Reply to
Jim

Where did you board it? Was it expensive to board the lavendar?

Reply to
dejablues

border

Reply to
Jim

Depending on the rainfall, and the local availability of native foliage, white-tailed deer will eat anything if times are tough enough. An adequate height fence around the garden is needed to stop their normal browsing within a garden. They may take exception to medium-sized dogs or bigger if close enough to the garden.

Reply to
Dioclese

Never planted asparagus but onions were only vegetable I grew that they would not eat. They may not eat hot peppers but they will eat and destroy the plant.

Best thing to do is fence off garden with deer netting.

Shade and deer did in my garden and I now plant tomatoes and peppers in pots on my 10 foot deck which the deer do not climb but woman told me that deer went up short flight of steps to her front porch and ate her flowers ;)

Reply to
Frank

I didn't know English Lavender was edible.

Reply to
Wilbe Dunne

"Wilbe Dunne" wrote in news:4a3feeb6$0$7277$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.greatnowhere.com:

you've never had lavender ice cream, or lavender cookies, or lavender tea? yes, lavender is edible. it's a herb. lee

Reply to
enigma

Deer will enjoy many plants that people don't consider edible... do you enjoy juniper, deer love it... I don't mind a little juniper flavor in my

2nis. hehe

When hungry enough deer will eat most any plant. Years can pass and just when you think deer won't touch your prized hostas there'll be a harsh winter and the deer will dessimate your hostas roots and all.

The only sure fire protection against maurading deer is a good strong fence... the larger the area you want to protect the taller the fence needs to be... deer need a good running start to leap a typical deer fence and they are not so stupid as to leap into a small fenced enclosure because they know exactly how much running space they need to leap out. You also need to calculate for the depth of snow... every foot of snow reduces the height of your fence to deer by about six inches. If you live where 2-3 feet of snow accumulates that 5'-6' fence that works fine during summer won't keep deer out in winter. There are also different kinds of deer, some can't leap any great height, mule deer are not as agile as whitetails.

Deer often get blamed for eating plants that some other animal ate... small rabbits, and moles/voles can empty your veggie garden in one night. Small rabbits can be fenced out with smaller mesh fence but those wee burrowers are nearly impossible to eliminate. And then there are birds... crows and ravens will eat most anything from a veggie garden, and they are smart, and bold... even with netting they will watch out of sight off in the distance until you lift the netting and will be at your veggies before you can. I have to be careful when I harvest blueberries, the crows are right there scolding me for stealing their blueberries.

Reply to
brooklyn1

with

I've changed a lot of I didn't knows into wow, that's pretty cool.

Reply to
Jim

"brooklyn1" wrote in news:LqT%l.583$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net:

FYI, two 4 foot fences, about 4 feet apart will also stop deer. they can jump high, but not wide, and, as you said they won't jump into a small space they can't jump out of, the 2 fence system keeps them out. i have a 4' fence 4' feet in from the rock wall (about 2' high) along my woods & the deer won't jump that. i wouldn't trust it to protect the garden though. if you think that a 4' no-man's land around the garden sounds silly, it's really a decent place to keep a couple chickens. they'll eat the grass, weeds & bugs. the only sure fire protection against maurading deer is a gun... lee

Reply to
enigma

During an exceptional drought, white-tailed deer will eat anything literally to acquire some water content. They are more picky as rainfall is more abundant.

"Deer" is a terrbly general term. What's worse, check out the original English word "der" from which "deer" is derived. OP could be talkijng about moose or mice in that case....

Reply to
Dioclese