Deer prevention

Page 1 of 3
I have a beautiful yard with lots of flowering plants. At least they start out that way until the deer come each night. Any suggestions for deer prevention that will not harm the plants or deer?
Just a suggestion. I have no data on the product and I am not found of being a product pusher. http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/tools.html#Plant_Pro-tec
at bottom of page: http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/tools.html#Plant_Pro-tec

Their main web page is http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us /

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and report on its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to ANY gentle measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a fence or a gun.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

deer sausage.........yum!

A neighbor informed me today that one of his best friends is a cop who lives right around the corner. Theoretically, this cop may have a way of cancelling the police response to a gunshot report, if he knows about it ahead of time. I don't believe it, but there are 3 deer who think my tomato plants and daylillies are salads.....

Waaaaaaaaahhhhahahah!
Charlie......setting up the lawn chair and fillin' the cooler.

I don't.
However, I may pay a visit to the town supervisor and discuss another idea. Every so often, in another part of town where there's a huge wooded park, they do a "controlled hunt", using "expert hunters" (fellas who wear long sleeve plaid flannel shirts with mismatched suspenders in summer) to thin the deer herd because nearby residents complain that their plants, trees and cars are being eaten. I live 6 blocks from an identical park area. Why not thin the herd here? We get our plants back (for a while), as well as a plaid parade.

Seriously, get a bow. It's quiet, short range, and the perfect solution.
Only do it during deer season, with the proper license (i.e. in the winter), and follow all the regulations.
The health benefits from the meat are great, it's much better than un- naturally raised meat.
Short of that, get a dog and an electric fence, if you have the temperament to go for walks and take care of a dog.

Actually, it's legal in NY to kill *any* animal that's destroying crops or harassing your animals. A permit is required only if the animal in question is governed by hunting season rules. So, if it's a deer, you'd need a permit out of season. If a dog's digging in your garden or harassing your goats, no permit is needed.
The only question is whether it's legal and safe to use a firearm in certain places.
I have been trying to grow English ivy for several years. The deer keep clipping the ivy down to the ground, leaving bare soil that creates an erosion issue. I tried fox/human urine, blood meal, milorganite, Irish Spring, deer scram. Some say "Spider Lily" repels deer. A dog is effective. I found that bird netting around the ivy protects it and any ivy that attempts to grow outside the netting gets clipped off. Finally, some ivy is growing up large pine trees where the deer can not reach it.

I hope you don't like those large pine trees, because they'll be dead sooner or later from the ivy.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Not according to our local cooperative extension. I already asked.

Not only does it weaken and kill them, but the ivy morphs into the adult that bears flowers and fruit, which the birds carry off and spread. It's an invasive plant throughout its range, any extension service that says otherwise is doing a disservice to its area.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Where can I find this data?

Ann
Do you have the data that the ivy will kill a pine tree. I really know of no data to establish that as a fact. Sure it can block leaves and needles for photosynthesis. Other than that what are you talking about?

Mah grandpappy done said so, and that's alls I needs to know.
:-)
I have dissected a scots pine that had ivy all over the ground . The tree was the healthiest scots pine I have seen. So some trees may be companion plants and some not. Again, other than blocking sunlight from needles and leaves I know of no published research showing that ivy kills trees. I personally do not like ivy growing on trees. The reason is because it covers up defects and signs of a high risk of hazard situation such as cracks and so on.
Does anyone have data (peer reviewed published papers) showing that ivy kills trees. I would like to read it and place it in my dictionary for all to read under hard to get docs.

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 20:05:56 -0400, "symplastless"

I haven't seen any serious problems with English Ivy around here but grapevines and poison ivy are another story.
What happens is they eventually weaken the tree via shading, competition for moisture and at the same time put quite a bit extra weight load on the tree skeleton/structure. Now when a good wind comes up they get blown over due to the extra wind loading, weight and weakening to the trees ability to support itself and vine.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

The tree would form response wood over time to make up for the weight of vines. Trees can adjust and adapt in certain cases put material where it is required for mechanical optimization. There is a strangler ficus tree in the tropical's that grows around a tree and when the tree symplast dies and the tree is decomposed with the help of the succession of microorganisms, it then remains with a hollow tube on the inside.