Deer despair

Has anyone proven solutions to prevent deer eating my plants other than fencing?

Reply to
Holly

A friend of mine swears by Irish Spring bar soap, grated like parmesan cheese and hung around the garden in cloth bags, or knee-hi stockings. Since the deer were bold enough to munch the flowers off my mums a few weeks back, I'll be hanging the soap around the entire property line. If it gets them to stand still long enough, I plan on beating them to death with a baseball bat. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Has anyone proven solutions to prevent deer eating my plants other than fencing? >>

A steady eye and a taste for venison? zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Well....we have 6 months of winter here (Rochester NY), although many residents drink themselves into oblivion until they imagine it's only 2 months of winter. So, when it finally warms up, I take my vegetable garden VERY seriously. Nobody, not even Bambi, messes with my vegetable garden. :-) Besides, I finally have a source of fresh juniper berries growing on my property. Do you know how well juniper goes with venison?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I heard that "Deer Off" works and remains on the plant for 3 months. I don't have proof of this claim. To be effective most sprays need to be reapplied after a rain. Most deer do not like dogs. I use a farmer's electric fence, and that works for deer, groundhogs, squirrels, cats and dogs.

Reply to
Phisherman

You need an attack squirrel:

(zipped video link)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Reply to
Romy Beeck

zxcvbob expounded:

Yowsa! That's one territorial squirrel!

Reply to
Ann

Hmm. Presumably this would be for plants that kept all their foliage in a steady state for 3 months at at time?

Reply to
Frogleg

My experience with deer (far more extensive than I want) is that they eat not only foliage but also those tender buds waiting for Spring to arrive.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

Actually, I may put one of those near the corner of my property where some of the neighborhood slobs let their dogs crap. When it's 34 degrees, I suspect a nice cold shower will be very educational.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Might work in areas that don't freeze at night. Probably the baseball bat or the trusty old thirty-ought-six offer more permanent solutions. :) G

Reply to
Gary

The .30 cal sounds great, but some of us live in what's known as "neighborhoods". :-) The cops get annoyed if we want to shoot things outside the house. Now, this raises a question. Since an intruder INSIDE the house may be legally dispatched, how does one get a deer to come in the house? What's their version of Fritos?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Be careful for what you wish. You really don't want a deer in your house. Neighbors had a relatively small buck jump through a plate glass window into their living room. Before it was subdued and ousted by the local volunteer fire department, it wrecked the entire room. The people didn't even coax it into the area with shelled corn, which is a common enticement that local idiots feed so they can view the "beasts" close up.

John

Reply to
B & J

Reply to
madgardener

Reply to
Romy Beeck

"madgardener" expounded:

Depends on your browser, I think. I'm using Mozilla 1.7.3 and it asks me what I want to do, open the zip or save it to my desktop. Maybe if you save it (right click on it and select "Save target as" and save it to your desktop you can open it with Winzip and play it from there.

Reply to
Ann

Yeah...I know. I was just dreaming up a scene from a bad movie, probably starring Chevy Chase as the guy who invites the deer into the living room. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Thanks for your help - I have finally managed to view the video - unfortunaltely we don't have any squirrels where we live. I have tried hair from the vacuum cleaner as I understand they don't like human hair. I also tried spraying but that does mean regular attention. I wondered about a wire on the ground which triggered a noise to scare them - is there anything similar on the market? Don't want ugly fencing near the house.

Reply to
Holly