Deer despair

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone proven solutions to prevent deer eating my plants other than fencing?

fencing?
A friend of mine swears by Irish Spring bar soap, grated like parmesan cheese and hung around the garden in cloth bags, or knee-hi stockings. Since the deer were bold enough to munch the flowers off my mums a few weeks back, I'll be hanging the soap around the entire property line. If it gets them to stand still long enough, I plan on beating them to death with a baseball bat. :-)
<< > Has anyone proven solutions to prevent deer eating my plants other than fencing? >><BR><BR> A steady eye and a taste for venison? zemedelec

than
Well....we have 6 months of winter here (Rochester NY), although many residents drink themselves into oblivion until they imagine it's only 2 months of winter. So, when it finally warms up, I take my vegetable garden VERY seriously. Nobody, not even Bambi, messes with my vegetable garden. :-) Besides, I finally have a source of fresh juniper berries growing on my property. Do you know how well juniper goes with venison?

garden
deer.Most
Actually, I may put one of those near the corner of my property where some of the neighborhood slobs let their dogs crap. When it's 34 degrees, I suspect a nice cold shower will be very educational.

Might work in areas that don't freeze at night. Probably the baseball bat or the trusty old thirty-ought-six offer more permanent solutions. :) G

deer.Most
The .30 cal sounds great, but some of us live in what's known as "neighborhoods". :-) The cops get annoyed if we want to shoot things outside the house. Now, this raises a question. Since an intruder INSIDE the house may be legally dispatched, how does one get a deer to come in the house? What's their version of Fritos?

Be careful for what you wish. You really don't want a deer in your house. Neighbors had a relatively small buck jump through a plate glass window into their living room. Before it was subdued and ousted by the local volunteer fire department, it wrecked the entire room. The people didn't even coax it into the area with shelled corn, which is a common enticement that local idiots feed so they can view the "beasts" close up.
John

house
into
it
Yeah...I know. I was just dreaming up a scene from a bad movie, probably starring Chevy Chase as the guy who invites the deer into the living room. :-)

How does a radar sprinkling system work. Is there an online site where I can buy one - I live in the Highlands of Scotland and have no nearby stores.

It is call (scarcrow motion activated sprinkler) cost= 56.95
You can call 1-866-yardiac
I just found it on Google search
Hope this helps you...

Thanks for your help. I might consider that but my only concern is my cats and directing it so that they can still get in the cat flap. Difficult trying to allow some animals in and trying to keep others out.
On 27 Nov 2004 15:44:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Holly) wrote:

I heard that "Deer Off" works and remains on the plant for 3 months. I don't have proof of this claim. To be effective most sprays need to be reapplied after a rain. Most deer do not like dogs. I use a farmer's electric fence, and that works for deer, groundhogs, squirrels, cats and dogs.

Hmm. Presumably this would be for plants that kept all their foliage in a steady state for 3 months at at time?

My experience with deer (far more extensive than I want) is that they eat not only foliage but also those tender buds waiting for Spring to arrive.
John
Holly wrote:

You need an attack squirrel:
http://tinyurl.com/5lhdu (zipped video link)
Best regards, Bob

Yowsa! That's one territorial squirrel! <G>
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA