deer broke off top of tree; how to reattach

Hi.
I have a great book about plant propagation but it doesn't really get into "troubleshooting".
I had a very healthy apple tree about a year old. I understand that deer like to rub against the trunks to rub off their velvet. They managed to break off the trunk leaving all of the good stuff in one piece on the ground and there is enough bark-covered stump remaining that I think I can do a graft.
The question is, how?
I stuck the broken treetop in soil with starter fertilizer. I could not decide whether it was better to leave the frayed end or cut up to where there was a bump so I left it like it was. It isn't rooting but it isn't dead either. I've been misting the leaves and branches. What's next?
Any help would be great, thanks!
Oh yea - I tied deoderant soap to the one tree that escaped attention. So far, so good.
Remove SPAMDEFENSE in address to reply.
the leader of a tree cannot be reattached. To do a graft requires a substantial piece of tree to graft the TWIG onto the trunk. Sorry.... madgardener

It does sound like a pretty dicey proposition, but nowadays they can repair broken bones, why not tree trunks? Might take more effort than you're willing to spend, though.
Otherwise, you could leave the stump and let it sprout and try to make a new tree with the trunk by sprinkling it with some rooting hormone. I've never had the occasion to do any of the above, so don't be surprised if it's whacked out advice.
--

"Madgardener" < snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net> wrote in news:k2mfb.9027$wC1.2950
@bignews3.bellsouth.net: