deer broke off top of tree; how to reattach

Hi.

I have a great book about plant propagation but it doesn't really get into "troubleshooting".

I had a very healthy apple tree about a year old. I understand that deer like to rub against the trunks to rub off their velvet. They managed to break off the trunk leaving all of the good stuff in one piece on the ground and there is enough bark-covered stump remaining that I think I can do a graft.

The question is, how?

I stuck the broken treetop in soil with starter fertilizer. I could not decide whether it was better to leave the frayed end or cut up to where there was a bump so I left it like it was. It isn't rooting but it isn't dead either. I've been misting the leaves and branches. What's next?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Oh yea - I tied deoderant soap to the one tree that escaped attention. So far, so good.

Remove SPAMDEFENSE in address to reply.

Reply to
Lyne

Madgardener

It does sound like a pretty dicey proposition, but nowadays they can repair broken bones, why not tree trunks? Might take more effort than you're willing to spend, though.

Otherwise, you could leave the stump and let it sprout and try to make a new tree with the trunk by sprinkling it with some rooting hormone. I've never had the occasion to do any of the above, so don't be surprised if it's whacked out advice.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

the bump is where it was grafted. it isnt going to make it. I guess I would do something more to keep the deer off the tree than a bar of soap, altho deer are maybe the least of worries. rabbits and mice chewing the trunk in winter is the end of more trees. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo