Declaring war on spider mites

Anyone tell me how to effectively eliminate spider mites on house plants (dracaena, aspidistra, etc)? I have tried spraying all leaf surfaces with soapy water, tried a summer oil spray, and Raid--none of these worked. Releasing predator bugs is not an option. Do I need to use a systemic? It is the two-spotted spider mite.

I have found that the best way of getting rid of them is with the hose. Summer your houseplants outside and everyday pick them up and spray the foliage with the hose. EVERYDAY..it won't be long until they are gone. This is the way to get rid of them outside too..
alice
Hi,

I use to a) put the plants into the bath tube and shower them and then b) cover them with a transparent plastic bag or foil for at least a week or so (this ensures that all mite generations are killed).
HTH
Best wishes Gaby
--
Mrs. Gaby Chaudry
http://www.gaby.de/bilder /
Gaby Chaudry wrote:

Keith,

I'm not quite sure whether everybody likes to have lizards and frogs in his/her livingroom.... ;-)
Bye, Gaby
--
Mrs. Gaby Chaudry
http://www.gaby.de/bilder /

Try enclosing them in a clear plastic bag and hanging something like a Shell No Pest strip in there.
Tyler
what plant is this?
I have several plants infected with the two-spotted spider mite. Three kinds of Dracaena and two kinds of Aspidistra. I've been checking other plants with 10X magnification. The infected plants are in large heavy pots making it impractical to be moved in and out of the house for frequent hose sprayings.
I enclosed each plant in plastic, sprayed Raid inside the bag, and sealed it up for 2 days. I plan on repeating this procedure in 10 days, as that is the life cycle of the spider mite. Has anyone tried this with success?
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:16:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

Hi,

Yes, I tried, but with no success. 2 days is much too short. I leave the bag for at least 5 days up to a week. If 2 days is the life cycle of the mite, you should consider that the next generation is already present in the eggs.
Bye, Gaby
--
Mrs. Gaby Chaudry
http://www.gaby.de/bilder /