Daylight Savings Time Change Effect On Gardening

Anyone see any effects of having more daylight savings time on gardening? I told my wife that my tomatoes would probably ripen slower, and she said to get a new watch.

Tom

Reply to
Tom or Mary

Not a bad idea Tom. Get a sundial watch or garden ornament. Us humans think we matter a whole lot but I'd imagine light, temp, wind, and the micro climates mean more to tomatoes and plant life. Also note if the plants fail so do the other folks in the food chain.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Your Four O'Clocks (mirabilis) will be an hour off.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Uh huh! Ok! LOL

Reply to
asdf

I saved a bunch of daylight in a glass jar once, but I dropped the thing and darned near blinded myself. Since then, I've saved my daylight only in plastic containers.

Reply to
Darren Garrison

I grow lots of Four O'Clocks and during the summer they never open before 6 PM (EDT). :)

Reply to
Bill R

For a start the extra daylight will fade your curtains, the cows will give less milk and the chooks will lay less eggs. As well trolls will call at your door more often.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Just think what might happen if you had potted tomatoes and took them across the international date line.

Marv-Montezuma, IA

VMWOOD

Ah, but in which direction? Murri

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

More people might consider this a valid point than you would suppose. I was listening to a radio talk show on the Daylight Savings Time change and whether or not Canada should follow the States' lead. Anyway, someone phoned in to ask whether the solstice on June 21 would be affected, and if daylight on that day would last for the same period of time. The host was at a loss for words, for once.

Dora

Reply to
bungadora

I've never liked DST, it sucks big time and should be done away with.

Reply to
Starlord