datura

Came back from a few weeks vacation and found my datura plant leaves all chewed up. The culprit seems to be a stripped beetle. Does someone know the name of this pest and what can be done to control it? Thanks Lou

Datura is a solanceous plant (in the same family as tomatoes, potatoes, etc.) and this family is a known host of the Colorado potato beetle (stripped beetle). This pest is resistant to many chemical controls, but two strains of Bacillus thuringiensis (B.t. var. san diego and B.t. var. tenebrionis) are effective in controlling it. B.t. var. san diego is sold under the name M-One and B.t. var. tenebrionis is marketed as Trident. These products are safe for mammals, birds, fish, and beneficial insects. If you use these products, be sure to apply when the larvae are small and to thoroughly cover the plant. This treatment will have to be repeated weekly until all of the eggs have hatched. Or... you can just hand pick the beetles and larvae. sed5555
I've had that same bettle show up on mine, I just went out with some of my cats flea powder and dusted them.
What's surpised me is this year I've only seen 2 horn worms show up, most of the time I get 10 of those things.
--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062:odyssey three