Danger Lurking in Local Garden Centers

I just "had" to go to the local Ace to pick up another jug of fish sauce for the tomatoes. When I came out I saw the first warning sign:

SALE!

Crap, it happens every friggin' year. I cannot resist. I thinks to meself, I'll just take a quick walk thru. Crap again, apple trees were reduced and several of them looked really fine. I have been pestering my sweetie for several years about planting a couple apples and haven't had any luck. I took the bull by the horns, and bought a Honeycrisp and a Royal Gala. I figgered to sneak 'em in and get them planted before she caught me. Maybe she wouldn't notice the side yard had sprouted a couple new trees.

Yeah, well she was looking out the kitchen window when I rolled in.

Busted.

Making deals after the transgression costs one dearly. (Hee hee... I got the trees though!)

"The trouble with gardening is that it does not remain an avocation. It becomes an obsession." -- Phyllis McGinley

Tread Carefully, you have been warned Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I think they have patches that you can wear for that now, to reduce the desire for that kind of stuff. Maybe look into a twelve-step-program for people with similar perversions. We're with ya' Charlie.

Look at the time. I need to go to the nursery for some seeds. Maybe I'll look around a little.

- Bill

Bill Rose

I could use some of those patches!! I drove by the local nursery today and felt like I was going thru withdrawels.

Reply to
blumby

Yeah, right. You best be careful! There could be things other than pots being banged upon!

One would think that experience is a good instructor, but noooo.

Be careful, be very careful Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

One bite into a 'Honey Crisp' and all her wrath will melt away! I wish we could grow them down here in TX, but we can't. All we can plant are Granny Smiths and Delicious and they never produce anyway. I've paid as much as 3.00 for a pound of Honey Crisp. Mmmmmm mmmm.

Reply to
jangchub

I have several of what my husband calls "...DARS"

Garden CenterDAR Hobby LobbyDAR

and other types of "DAR" except RAYDAR!

Reply to
jangchub

Our dear husbands.....we gotta love'em for putting up with our obsessions!

Reply to
blumby

Loving spouses understand temptation and sticky pots.

Cheryl Isaak

Pambo forced Charlie to post this at: rec.gardens:

Gawd... I am a total sucker. Over the years I have learned to shop at the end of the season. I've gotten hardy mums for 50 cents, butterfly bushes for a buck. My garage is so full of gardening tools and gadgets I can barely get the cars in it but yet I go through the ritual every year. And this doesn't count what I buy from the nursery catalogs. This year alone I've separated and given away entire starter gardens to friends. I ought to just set up shop in the garage.

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

Go for it. My lovely wife goes to the local farmers market once a month and sells her "separates". Often makes enough money to buy some more plants.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Try Gala, fugi and dorsett golden, all low chilling.

Reply to
Pan Ohco

Yes, I have the best husband in the world. But, so does my girlfriend. Finally another happily married couple to do things with.

Reply to
jangchub

I bought a greenhouse several years ago and now I see unusual perennials to the local garden centers. Still, I'm in trouble because by the time I leave the garden center I spend the money!

Reply to
jangchub

True, but nothing like a Honey Crisp.

Reply to
jangchub

I wish they had a newsgroup for greenhouse owners. There's nowhere for us to go on Usenet.

Reply to
Manelli Family

My cousins used to have a Winesap tree. Now, those were good eating.

Cheryl Isaak

To discuss? Do it right here. I would always discuss it since I spent most of my adult life in them.

Reply to
jangchub

I agree.

I see no problem with discussing greenhouses here. It's on topic?

Reply to
Omelet

For some reason I thought it would be off topic here. We have a Rion 8.6 X

16.6 and a HFGH 6 X 8. We have the HF for year and just finished the Rion. What GH do you have? What size and what do you grow in it?
Reply to
Manelli Family

I wasn't sure if it was on topic here.

Reply to