Dandelions with multiple heads

Has anyone ever seen Dandelions with multiple heads on one stalk? In the spring I started seeing twins and then suddenly I started seeing one wide stalk (and inch or so) with multiple heads -- I think I counted 13 on one stalk. I was wondering if that's unusual? I also got a nice twinned Zinnia, too. I'm beginning to wonder if we're living on a chemical dump. Well, not really, this has been farmland as far back as we can trace it but I wondered why I was seeing so much twinning in flowers where I'd never noticed it before.

Giselle (or maybe it's simply because I never noticed it before? duh. :)

Reply to
Volfie

I wouldn't worry about living on a chemical dump. They're perfectly safe. Dow Chemical says so. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hee hee. Actually I was wondering what the hell my draft horse had been eating...

Giselle (who happens to LIKE dandelions, multiple heads or no)

Reply to
Volfie

What the dandelions are doing is something that is called "fascination". I've seen cactus doing it and found the reference to it in one of my books. Lately I've noticed multiple flower heads on gerbera daisies that we've gotten from Canada from Color Point nurseries for Lowes.

This year, my purple loosestrife made twinned flowerstems on one plant (before the Japanese beetles munched it down to the bones ) and just today we got in a shipment of Magnus coneflowers, and out of all those pots, there were three that had triple heads of flowers. If the pots are there tomorrow, I'm buying it to see if the seeds are viable and make the same kind of flower next year.

In the

I've seen lilies do that. the oriental ones, not daylilies. I seem to recall someone had a lily that had a whole bunch of flowers on one thick stalk.

I was wondering if that's unusual? Yes. but not rare.

I also got a nice twinned

there might actually be something to what you're wondering. You should see the difference in the ruffled African violets that were grown from seeds that went up on the space shuttle. HUGE plants! I'd say call your college agricultural department and ask for someone who knows their botany and can determine if your plants are influenced by fungus, disease, mutations, chemicals, or what not. I'm curious as to what they'd have to say about it. Keep me posted of your findings if you pursue this!

It is a ponder. You have to also realize that our enviroment isn't the same as when your property was a farm. The rain is different. The sunshine is even different due to the ozone layer and such. My cactus get quite a sunburn every spring when I put them outside, but this year they suffered badly. At least they adjusted, but I could tell the sun was harsher than last year. And I've never browned up quite so quickly as I did this year and I'm not a brown person. I really have to make sure I put on the sunscreen, Bullfrog on my hands because I have Viteligio. (loss of pigmentation like what Michael Jackson has and took the pill to eliminate all of his pigment when it showed up, apparently it's a genetic trait of Scot-Irish decendents..) I neverthought of it until one day I noticed I'd lost pigment on my upper chest and my patches were red from being outside in the nursery all day in the sun and heat.

not likely. But seriously, don't worry about it too much, but if your still curious and do contact someone, let me know, ok? madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking a storming English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect." Chief Seattle

Reply to
madgardener

Hi, Actually it is called fasciation or your spell checker is on automatic and changed it ;-) I've only seen it happen in water lilies. HTH -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

"how" expounded:

I usually have one or two foxgloves out there showing signs of fasciation. Sometimes the flower scapes are two inches wide by one-quarter inch thick, with rows of flowers in stripes up and down the scapes. Very strange looking.

Reply to
Ann

my spelling yesterday wasn't the best. I don't have spell checker on automatically. I usually hit F7 and highlight a word and then it asks me if I want to check the rest of it. I forgot yesterday in answering the question. I've seen this in quite a few plants over the years. The Gerbera daisies from Lowes this last year and a half have been the newest ones to draw my attentions. And my purple Loosestrife. Apparently cactus do it more frequently than other plants......... madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Ok, while we're on the subject, does anyone know anything about Caladiums that have "inside-out" spots on the underside of the leaves? I only have one that does it, but it does it all the time. I'll post a pic on ABPG if anyone is interested.

Murri ( collects Caladium varieties )

Reply to
Lady Blacksword

Are you positive it's a dandelion? Just guessing, but multiple heads with dandelion-like flowers could be a type of hawkweed:

Joe

"Joe" wrote

could show you how odd they are. I dried some of them. The stem was actually about an inch wide on the biggest one -- sort of wide and flat like a lot of stems joined side by side. Then it was capped with all these heads all jumbled together, not on individual stems. They were so tightly packed sometimes, that I couldn't get a good count.

Giselle (same year but in a slightly different area I also got a zinnia with two heads, a black-eyed susan with two and a co-joined cherry. :)

Reply to
Volfie