Daisies - What did I do wrong?

Hi,
I'm new to this newsgroup but I have a question.
A couple of springs ago, I planted several small daisy shrubs along the side of my house.. I was told they didn't get more than 2 - 3 feet tall and 2 -3 feet across. I have, now, shrubs that are 4 feet across and 4 feet tall. Of course, the blooms are profuse and a lovely yellow but they are simply way too huge for the area I planted them in.
My question. What did I do wrong? Why are they so huge?
Anyone?
Marg
Exactly what is it you are calling a "daisy shrub"?
You are probably not doing anything wrong. What you were told may not have been accurate.

Could you be any less clear in your reply?
How about a link to a picture of what you are calling a "daisy shrub" if you are unable to name the plant?

Hello Marg,
If they are the daisy shrubs I also have - the best thing to do is to prune them medium to hard during winter time.
It will keep the size down and bring out new growth in Spring.
Cheers,
YM
wrote in message

Thanks! I thought of doing that but around here they don't seem to ever stop blooming. I have NO idea when to prune them. Perhaps I should just give up and let them do what they wish to. After all, some things just won't grow at all. Why should I be upset about things that do well? Even better than well? :-)
Marg

If they are a daisy of some kind you should be able to prune them quite hard and they should grow back again quite freely. They probably will also grow easily from cuttings so you could renew them periodically if you need to.

Nothing you did wrong. The plants are just thriving a little more enthusiastically than you hoped for.
Hard to say just what sort of shrubby daisy you have without more info. Where I am (Southern California), Euryops is common and can grow to about 6 feet; it's easily kept smaller by pruning. Marguerites, on the other hand, don't take to hard pruning and are so short-lived that you will be replacing them in a season or two anyway.
Just a thought: if yours is the Euryops with dark green foliage, maybe take half of them out and head the remaining ones back to side branches. In the gaps left behind, put in some Dusty Miller for a quick and dramatic contrast.
--
Chris Green

Indeed they are!

I could hope I have the latter but think I bought the former. Sigh.... And my name is Marguerite so I guess that's karma for ya.

I'll try that. I absolutely HATE to cut back something that is thriving so well, BUT, it's impeding my walkway. I had thought I was planting something that would stay relatively small and civilized. Apparently, it's not. Thanks for the suggestion.
Marg