Dahlias

Has anyone dealt with Swan Island Dahlias? I am thinking of making a large purchase from them.
I have dealt with Swan Island Dahlias and can recommend them whole- heartedly. Their selection is wonderful, the tubers arrived in great condition, and 100% of them successfully sprouted for me. (I ordered 20 tubers this past spring.) My brother-in-law, who is a dahlia aficionado, turned me on to them. He made a large purchase from them this past spring as well and had great results. In fact, he visited last weekend with two coffee cans full of the most beautiful dahlia blooms I've ever seen, most of which were from Swan Island, I do believe. I would not hesitate to purchase from them.
By the way, my favorite this season is Razzmatazz. The stems are a bit on the short side, but the color is spectacular. (See http://tinyurl.com/2zshne though the photo doesn't do it justice.)
Happy growing!
-Fleemo

On Jul 31, 1:03 pm, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:
Thanks - I am just getting into them now.

candy girl;931003 Wrote: > ive put new dahlia tubers in as normal but they have only grown > verysmall instead of the large ones they usually are where have i gone > wrong?
We are into guessing mode. My guess is that the key word here is "new". One possibility is that the tubers you bought had not been stored well and weren't very good.
People often don't realise the most important bit of a dahlia tuber is not the thick fat bit, but the bit where the thick fat bits join together.
Another possibility, if you keep on planting them in the same place, is that they have used up all of something they need in the soil, and you need to prepare the soil again.
--
echinosum