Dahlia disaster!

Page 2 of 2

I don't have enough to bother with. There is a farmer near by that has a huge cutting garden where he operates a farm stand. No dahlias, but lots of other stuff.

Haven't you learned the rules of gardening excess? :-)

Dinner plate sized dahlias get huge... More people should grow dahlias in my oppinion, they are easy to grow and bloom all summer into fall... butterflies love them as well. The one gardening chore other then the privet hedgr trimming DH does around here is dig my dahlias after the first frost for me. He's done it since the year I was PG with our son, I wasn't feeling well that year. Colleen Zone 5 CT
On 8/3/04 8:52 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m13.aol.com,

Gee - I wonder why! LOL
The summer I was expected DD will forever be know as the summer I didn't garden.
Cheryl
Doug Kanter wrote:

Dahlias can get quite tall. I have quite a few that are over six foot (they are the "dinner plate" varieties) and they are still growing. They usually have blooms that are in the 7 to 10 inch range and are really beautiful. Some of mine are visible from the street and people that see them often ask "are they real?" because they have never seen such large flowers before.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

This goes on the list for next spring, then. I like flowers that amaze or frighten. Closing on a new house next week, and I'm going to plant EVERY damned thing.

Don't forget the cannas. They can be quite amazing. Here are a couple of picture from 4 years ago http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegardens/cannas2000.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegardens/cannas2000.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID

Yeah...I have some cannas that I've been caring for, even while in an apartment. They're 10 years old, and required 8 million dollars worth of big pots and soil, but well worth it.

I had some left and no place to plant them so I put them in huge pots. My deck got so overgrown with stuff that I had to move one of the pots last week. That was job! Now I have two brugmansias that are taking over. They started three years ago as six inch plants in tiny pots. Now they are approaching 6 feet and are sprawling. I had to repot them a couple of weeks. I hope I can move them inside this winter. Each pot took 60 pounds of potting soil -- before adding the 6 foot tall plant with its already heavy rootball. One is putting on its first really spectacular display of flower. They have only had a boom here and there. Now one of them is covered with flowers and in the evening you can smell it for a considerable distance. In the winter I have several 20 gal. pots of bananas, the brugs, and a madevilla to bring in along with boxes of cannas and some dahlias.

I looked at your website and I have three of the same dahlias that you are showing. At the end of the season last year I had a large cake to make for a function. I used the red and white dahlias to decorate the top.
Vox Humana wrote:

I think that is one of the most unusual uses of Dahlias that I have hear of. Most of mine wind up as cut flowers. I give them to anyone that asks for "some flowers that last a long time".