Dahlia cultivation

I've just pulled up the dahlia tubers from the ground and am left standing with three large bunches of them. What to do now? Just read that I should have left them in the ground until the first frost killed off the stems, but too late for that; here in Tennessee we might not have a frost for weeks yet. Anyone know how to winter these babies? In peat moss? Dry? In the refrigerator? In the basement? In a place of honor on my mantle? Maybe I could get my dog to sit on them and incubate them until spring. . .

I'm also interested in how to grow hosta and daylilies from seed and would appreciate some advice or referral to a source of information.

The indoor cultivation, planning for next spring, choosing bulbs for forcing in a few months -- all are wonderful aspects of autumn gardening, as well as the protective job of winterizing the garden. John Donne said, "In heaven it is always autumn."

Pam, the autumn lover

Reply to
pammycv