daff's and hyacynths are peeking up!

We've had a long, hard winter. Due to be in the teens and 20's again this weekend....but I saw some green!!!

Pittsburgh, Zone 6

Reply to
BD

I was up in Belle Vernon for two weeks because of a family emergency and I didn't notice anything close to blooming -- maybe nights getting down to the low teens had a hand in that. When I got back here last Tuesday I found that a considerable number of unidentified yellow daffodils were blooming. Same with the crocus that pop up in the lawn. Then this morning I noticed that the Ice Follies daffodils were popping open along the driveway. The only bad thing is that they last for such a short time and it will be a long gap until the daylilies start to bloom.

Reply to
John McGaw

We too in DE have daffodils popping up and showing their buds. And I'm hearing birds singing different songs as they do in spring. The buds are swelling on the trees. Soon, warmth, sun, flowers, green, and the sound of lawnmowers and weed whackers. Can't wait til spring is here!! Nan

Reply to
Nan

I was looking around this morning and I have a lot of stuff popping up. Like you, we still have some cold weather coming but it a few weeks it should very colorful in my garden. I planted over 700 new bulbs (Tulips, Hyacinths, and other spring bulbs) last fall and I am really looking forward to spring.

Reply to
Bill R

I have two different varieties of narcissus (which includes daffodils) in bloom. I also have crocuses and grape hyacinths. (I don't grow actual hyacinths because their perfume irritates my hay fever.) For a complete list of what's blooming in my garden now, see .

Reply to
David E. Ross

Just to follow up, when I went outside to blow a few leaves from the driveway I noticed that the hyacinths are up. I also noticed that the location in the front of the house where I _thought_ I had dug up the daffodils is just full of them. Clearly I did a bad job. Guess I'll have to try again this year after the foliage dies back (but before it separates, so I have a better chance of finding the bulbs).

My friends/neighbors bought me a big box of tulip bulbs at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam on the way back home from a tour and I hurriedly got them into the ground late last year. At least a few of them are poking through so I guess I got them into the ground in time and deep enough.

Daylilys are peeking through the new mulch but they were still green when I put the mulch on this winter so that isn't surprising. The old-style flag irises are up through the mulch too but just a bit. No telling what else is happening out there but since I tend to plant bulbs randomly there is no telling what will show up or where.

Reply to
John McGaw

Now you made me go out and look.

Sure enough, daffodils are up, and tulips are popping out all over.

I put up some baby pictures, for anyone on Facebook:

'd have sworn it was too early, but it's really only about one week ahead of last year, according to my photo archives. It's a shame - yesterday was

60 degrees, it's 32 as I type this, with a mix of snow/sleet/rain in the near forecast. Still, nice to know that Spring will once again happen this year.

No matter what anyone says, February is the longest month of the year.

dwight Philadelphia überburbs

Reply to
dwight