Cuttings Question/Pineapplee Sage

I like Pineapple Sage because it grows to become a big bush by the end of summer and makes for great foliage. Last year I took a bunch of cuttings and over wintered them inside under lights and although they got leggy, they did very well last summer in my garden and the gardens of those plants I gave away.

This year however, my pineapple sage cuttings has been in bloom for the last month under the lights. I think this happened because the plants I made cuttings from were close to blooming and I read that when you make cuttings the plants have memories of what stage of life they're in.

I'm worried about using these plants this year if they think that now they've bloomed they're life mission is over and they won't grow when repotted outside. Does anyone think this will be a problem? If I just deadhead the flower and repot should these plants grow as large as last year? I'm thinking I might have to buy new pineapple sage seedlings from the plant store this spring.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

I like this plant - and it is very easy to root. When I cut back a plant to make it bushier, I take the cuttings and stick them in the ground or in an extra pot. I do this in the early summer and by fall I have another pineapple sage just growing wonderfully. Love the fragrance!

I'd say that considering how robust these plants are, you should just trim them back and plant them in the ground outside or in pots. Should do just fine.

Mark Anders> I like Pineapple Sage because it grows to become a big bush by the end of

Reply to
Sterling

Sterling in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

it's a weakly woody shrub. it flowers every winter on new growth.

Reply to
Gardñ

Not here in Zone 5. If left outside it dies and never comes back. What zone does it become a shrub? If it's a shrub then perhaps, instead of taking cuttings, this winter (it just turned Spring and I'm already planning for winter :-) I'll bring the entire plant inside and place it under lights.

Reply to
Mark Anderson

Reply to
Sterling