Cutting tree root

I have a 15 foot spruce which the previous owner planted too close to the patio. A large root from the tree is cracking the patio. Can I cut through this root without killing the tree - it is needed for a wind break. Any experience with this type of situation? Thanks.

Reply to
nitney49

If the tree has been consistently deep watered, you might safely cut the roots about 1/3 of the way around. "Deep watered" means NOT watered daily; it means occasional heavy soaking. It also means that this was done for several years prior to cutting the roots. You can't just start deep watering today and cut tomorrow.

Reply to
David E. Ross