Cutting Sunflowers

Bought a two annual type sunflower plants at a local garden shop. They are 10" -12" in height. The top flowers have blossomed and now have shriveled up. My sister spoke with someone who knew about flowers and they told her that I should cut off the top flower(s) once they get this way to let others grow in. Is this what I should do?

Absolutely. There are latent buds in the leaf joints, you'll get many smaller flowers if you deadhead.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Thanks for the info! Will clip them tomorrow.
expounded:

I have one volunteer sunflower in my bed, no idea how it got there at all, but I pulled up about a dozen of these "weeds" leaving only the one just to see what it was. I would like to save some for seed, do I just wait until later in the summer and leave the last head or 2 to dry out?

Yep, that's as tough as it gets! :o)