Cutting new grass

The local township had to dig up part of my front yard to put in a pipe. They finally reseeded it in September, and the grass is coming along although it is not thick yet. I live in Pittsburgh, and was wondering if I should mow it this fall or just let it grow until spring? It is getting somewhat high.

Tom

Reply to
tombates

Mow it at the highest setting. You could add more seed and starter fertilizer. Grass actually grows roots in the winter.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'd tend to let it go over the winter, unless it's already matting down.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

I agree. This will also achieve another purpose: It's help the grass compete with the weed seed contained in the crappy mixture that municipalities & utilities often use.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom