Cutting Back Yew...

Howdy all. I have several yew which have grown to about 3ft. tall and wide. I would like to cut these back to a much smaller size (~2ft.) except if I do much of the yew will only have bare wood exposed with little or no growth on it.

Question: how long will it take yew to have new growth on bare wood? Years, months, weeks? Not sure of the variety, but it is dense and rounded. Also, in zone 5. I have read where rejuvenating yew takes a few years for new growth, but I am not cutting that far in.

Any input appreciated.

-Felder

Reply to
Felder

Yew are one of the only conifers that can pop buds on completely defoliated branches-- however, they have to be in good health and it has to be done at the right time of year. I would recommend doing it in stages, pruning into hard wood each early spring just as the buds begin to swell.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Thanks Dave! I haven't thought about doing it in stages. I believe that's the way I'll go.

-Felder

Reply to
Felder

Perry Como cut his Yew to the ground. They never grew back. He stood there looking at them while he sang, "They'll Never Be Another Yew."

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

Was that Perry Como, I thougt it was Frank Sinatra!

'enry VIII

Reply to
'enry VIII