Cutting back Honeysuckle

Can I trim back my Honeysuckle at this time of year and can I take cuttings, if so what is the method I should employ, thanks in anticipation
--
Gladiobean

Gladiobean wrote:

Don't see why you can't cut it back at least moderately now -- I whack away at mine whenever it threatens to depart the pergola and attack the house and it doesn't seem to have suffered. Haven't tried it but green wood cuttings should take relatively easily. The routine of stripping the first couple of leaves from the bottom of the cutting, dipping in rooting hormone, and then potting up in a damp medium will likely work. I'm sure that there are online descriptions of how to do it.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Gladiobean,
Fear not. Hack away anytime you want. The more you cut/trim it the more it grows.
Patrick

Let's elaborate on this a bit - I have a stand of honeysuckle that is about 6-7 feet tall, maybe 4 feet across. It is more dead then alive, IOW the middle of it is old growth, and the outside is nice and green. I want to hack it off at about 1 foot high to get rid of all of the dead growth. Can I cut it back this much?

I had a honeysuckle that was already growing along the fence and up a garage wall of the house I'd bought. It was a mess, lots of bare and dead tangled stuff. After two fruitless years of trying to get it looking half ways decent with careful pruning I just decided to hack it right off at the ground, and this was in July. I honestly thought I'd killed it, didn't do a thing the rest of the year, no watering, no fertilizer. That next spring it sprung up and grew beautifully. Then I was able to keep on top of the situation. I say hack it off. If you do kill it, which is highly unlikely, the plants are cheap, you can start again.
Val