Cucumber seedlings from nurseries

Since I lost my cucumbers again I decided to try some seedlings this time. Went to Lowes. I found the variety I always like to grow but the pots each had 4 seedlings in them. They looked pretty healthy but I am not sure if they would thrive. What does one do, just break them apart, cut them apart, maybe soak them to rinse off the soil and tease them apart? I've read and experienced that cucurbits are sensitive to root damage. But I cannot see buying a single pot with 4 seedlings just to destroy three of them as some have suggested elsewhere.
Paul M. Cook wrote:

you can try to tease them apart, but it being so late that kind of damage is likely going to set the plants even further behind even if they survive.
so you are at the point where you plant them and then give them a week to get going and when you notice them crowding you pinch off the weakest two or three.
while you are at it i'd also replace the top layer of soil in the planters.
songbird

Yeah, I see that. For all the fascination I have for the natural world, I tell ya, the whole insectida class can just kiss my you know what right about now.
Paul

IIRC Kay Lancaster told me about this.
Remove from pot
Hold plants between thumb and index finger with dirt and roots across the palm of the hand
Hose the roots from bottom to top, repeat as needed
With most of the dirt removed, tease the roots apart, again from the bottom to the top
Repot
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True

I may try it. I was over at Lowes again today and the offerings were pretty sad. Most of them had powdery mildew or leaf miners. This growing season is looking to be a very bad one. Last year was great but this year is turning out to be a real disappointment.
Paul