Crushed brick as mulch substitute?

I have a fairly large gazebo, built on the side of a mountain, on a sloped site. I have planted many plants all around the structure, and I need a mulch substitute. The site is too steep for regular mulch. or straw, as the rains will just wash it down. Same problem with installing weed screens, any mulch on top of that will just wash away.
I have seen what looks like crushed red brick in commercial restaurants such as McDonald's etc. It may be a lava type product, but the last time I noticed, it looks like crush brick pieces. It is a reddish color, and it looks really good where I have seen it.
The problem (and my question) is whether or not weeds are a big problem if you use that product as a mulch subtitute. I would think that if you got it 3 or 4 inches deep, weeds would not grow through it, like it will with mulch. My thinking is that mulch retains moisture, and promotes weed growth, and that the brick product would not hold moisture. By the way, this is in a shady area, and the "mulch" would be more for looks that for preserving moisture for the plants. That is not a concern or problem in my situation.
Have any of you ever used this crushed brick product, or can any of you offer comments or advice ??
Thank you very much !!
James

It's lava rock.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0712081412245.html
--
Toni

Lava rock is lava rock and crushed brick is crushed brick. Two different materials.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net

It does not add or provide a food source for soil micros. It also can alter the pH in a negative way.
Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html and http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/index.html Look up "Mulch"