Crown of Thorns

Can anyone tell me the name of the plant that was Jesus' crown of thorns? I have heard of the Crown of Thorns plant, but have read it probably wasn't this plant that was made into "crown" for His head. I am a Christian and would love to know what kind of plant they put on Him, because I want to buy myself one.
Thanks for any help,
Sharon
The plant popularly called the "Crown of Thorns" is Euphorbia milii var. splendens from Madagascar was discovered in the 1800's and has absolutely nothing at all to do with the passion of the Christ. The common name for the plant is little more than a shrewd marketing ploy. In Asia, the plant is called Poysean and has a different religious significance there as a "good luck" plant.
The supposed "crown of thorns" mentioned in the bible was made from some unspecified thorny shrub of which there are several found in the Middle East. It is often presumed the plant was Ziziphus spina-christi but there is no real proof of that. The species name was coined in the 1700's. It is not grown as a house plant.

Thank you very much, I was about to waste money on something that had nothing to do with Jesus at the time of His death.
Thanks again, Sharon
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:57:43 -0500, "Sharon"

I have the "Crown of Thorns" plant. It is interesting and has started conversations about Jesus in my household so my personal experience is that it is tied to Him. I put my Crown of Thorns on a sunny deck where it produces an abundance of deep red primitive flowers that attract hummingbirds. Withholding water produces an entirely different looking plant. This plant can get out of hand so I trim it once a year--this trimming is a messy project as with many Euphorbias they bleed white sap. Cuttings root easily.
Speaking about biblical plants. I have an herb plant called rue that is quite interesting. It has leaves that are three lobed, I guess this represents the Trinity. I have this plant primarily due to the odor it produces--cats hate it and stay out of my garden.

Try Passion vine. Lots of stories are made up about it, and if you get the right kind you can eat the fruit.
Phisherman wrote:

Do you have a lot of Rue? I have 2 rue plants and it hasn't stopped my cats (however, they're invited and currently munch on the oats, which have yet to be winter killed.)
Kate

Here is your Rue: http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/r/rue---20.html

USDA Zone 8
snipped-for-privacy@anywhereusa.net says...

I wonder what Jesus would think of people idolising some plant? Especially considering that his interaction with it wasn't exactly a fun time.
What's next? Determine the type of wood used for the cross, the arrow, and the handle of the whip? And then plant the appropriate type of tree and worship it?
--
Want Freebies?
http://www.TheFreeStuffList.com /

The next time you are in a Tex-Mex bar, why don't you ask him?
says...

The Bible states that the crown was made of thorns. I have not seen the crown of thorns plant but I sure it could Hybrid from an original plant that could have posibly been the plant that was used to form the crown of thorns that Jesus was adorned with. All I think is that whoever made was nuts because that had to hurt trying to form a crown from a thorny plant. Chuckie in the Frozen North, Zone 5

The reason I wanted that plant was not because I wanted something that was used to torment my Savior (as someone suggested earlier.) I just wanted something here today that I could have, something He came in contact with. I had a near death experience and have been enthralled by Jesus ever since. Thank you Chuckie for your reply, I never thought of that plant being a hybrid.
Warmly, Sharon
Yes whatever the plant is or where it comes from does not matter but what it sybolizes is the suffering of Jesus and his great love for the people of this planet. Who could ask for more? I may look into getting one for my garden. If you are interested in the dicussion of Jesus and the other books of the holy scripture check out the google group True Thinking Through Gods Word. This is a new group. Chuckie
@anywhereusa.net says...

Well, my money would be on some type of Acacia for being used for the crown.
"Acacia (Hebrew shittim) Exo 25:5, R.V. probably the Acacia seyal (the gum-arabic tree); called the "shittah" tree (Isa 41:19). Its wood is called shittim wood (Exo 26:15, Exo 26:26; Exo 25:10, Exo 25:13, Exo 25:23, Exo 25:28, etc.). This species (A. seyal) is like the hawthorn, a gnarled and thorny tree. It yields the gum-arabic of commerce. It is found in abundance in the Sinaitic peninsula."
http://www.biblepicturegallery.com/Pictures/Trees.htm
http://users.1st.net/fischer/SHORT07.HTM
        Bill
Like I said previously, there are several Middle Eastern spiny shrubs that the "crown of thorns" could have been made from.
There really is no point in trying to guess which one it actually was at this late date.

Just ignore Chuckles. He is just a blithering idiot troll.
There is no reason for the plant to have been a hybrid of any kind.

For someone who is such an obnoxious prick, you sure are clueless about thorny plants, Chuckles.
Then again, what would a Canucklehead from the Frozen North know about Middle Eastern desert plants anyway?