Croscosmia MIA

I planted two kinds of these from bulbs I bought at Home Depot after the soil had warmed up and hard frosts were done, but many weeks later, not a shoot is to be seen anywhere.
I dug up one patch and found a moldy bulb and one that looked fine but had nothing happening with it.
We've had a LOT of rain, but it's been warm. My dahlia roots, planted about the same time have stuck little shoots up already. Bagged cheap day lillies also planted at the same time are doing great.
I found conflicting advice about when to plant Crocosmia in Zone 5, with some saying in the fall and others in the spring.
Should I keep waiting for them to wake up or yank them and put in something else? They're taking up a lot of room in the limited sunny area of my garden and if they're not going to do anything I'd like to replace them with something else.
--Jenny Zone 5 on cold hillside
Jenny I planted two kinds of these from bulbs I bought at Home Depo
after the soil had warmed up and hard frosts were done, but many weeks later not a shoot is to be seen anywhere.
I dug up one patch and found a moldy bulb and one that looked fine but had nothing happening with it.
We've had a LOT of rain, but it's been warm. My dahlia roots, planted about the same time have stuck little shoots up already. Bagged cheap day lillies also planted at the same time are doing great.
I found conflicting advice about when to plant Crocosmia in Zone 5 with some saying in the fall and others in the spring.
Should I keep waiting for them to wake up or yank them and put in something else? They're taking up a lot of room in the limited sunny area of my garden and if they're not going to do anything I'd like to replace them with something else.
--Jenny Zone 5 on cold hillside
jenny crocosmia bulbs should be planted in the spring time. u didnt sa how long ago u planted them but from the sounds of things its been quit awhile. what i would do is put them somewhere else and see what grows that about all u can do right now. i would also mention it to you home depo as to whats going on with the bulbs. here is a link that might help u some. good luck. cyaaaa sockiescat. http://tinyurl.com/mt2o
-- sockiescat
sockiescat wrote:

I planted them in early May after the risk of hard frost was over. We have not had a hard frost since then, only a very light touch of frost that darkened leaves on a few marigolds I'd gambled with but didn't kill them.

Thanks, what is described in your link, http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=H680
is exactly what I did. Maybe I'm just not patient enough! <g>

--
--Jenny

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes Diabetes Info
SO - don't buy flowers and bulbs at big box stores. You don't know how long they have layed in a warehouse or what they have been treated with.
Mel & Donnie down in Bluebird Valley In the middle of beautiful down town Yountsville. Managers of the water works. http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/doc
http://community.webtv.net/MelDKelly/MelDonniesBluebird