Crocosomia

My Crocosomia have started blooming -- impressively. These are new to me, planted last year, and I wonder if I should deadhead. Will that extend blooming?
These things spread so, I wonder if they're potentially invasive.
Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Rivers are ribbons that tie us to the spirit of the land - Jeff Rennicke
I've never tried deadheading. They do spread, but for me that is a desirable trait. I would not consider them at all invasive. The clump just keeps getting larger; they don't seed about or show up all over the place.
I almost lost mine in the drought (3 years running, 2 years ago) and they haven't bloomed in years. We had a decent year last year, and it's shaping up to be one of the best growing seasons in memory this year, and they are looking promising. The hummingbirds like them.
Cheers, Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMearthlink.net
Zone 6, South-central PA

Aren't Crocosmia incredible? Mine are blooming right now as well, and are putting on a dazzling display. This is really my first season with them (as I was on vacation when they bloomed last year), so I can't advise as to dead heading. But I can tell you that how invasive they are depends upon the variety. I have Crocosmia Lucifer, a deep red-orange flower, and they aren't invasive at all. Though at 4.5", they did get a lot taller than I thought they would. I've heard that some of the other Crocosmia are rather invasive. If they get out of hand, you might replace them with the Lucifer.
-Fleemo
On 16 Jun 2004 18:22:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Fleemo) opined:

I also have 'Lucifer' and they are starting now. Just beautiful. They reproduce rapidly.
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Fleemo) in

mine i thought were lucifer, but the flowers are very brief and non- showy. they are (only) about as impressive as chasmanthe, which is bigger plant, but seeds less (ie, more controllable)
their first year, they ddin't bloom unitl really late. btu since then they've settled inot the expected mediterranean bulb cycle, very similar ot chasmanthe. i think even the iirigated clumps are dried down now.
I've heard that

i plan on that. first i need to eradicate these. :-)

Make that 4.5 FEET!
-F

Deadheading won't produce any more blooms. What you see is what you get, like most bulbs/corms. I imagine deadheading to keep energy from going into seed production would apply.
They *are* considered invasive in many places, but not like some spreading weed. The corms simply reproduce often. They like a lot of sun.
Mine aren't blooming yet. I'll go out and speak to them. :-)
- Rivers are ribbons that tie us to the spirit of the land - Jeff Rennicke