crickets

How can I catch crickets? There are 60 million of them in my flower beds and I DON'T want them coming in the house now that the weather is cooling. How can I trap them?

Reply to
Holley

:) How can I catch crickets? There are 60 million of them in my flower :) beds and I DON'T want them coming in the house now that the weather is :) cooling. How can I trap them?

Might trying to set up a bright light where you want to attract them....or cut down the amount of light around the home at night that would attract them.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

While looking in the mirror a bit ago, I noticed that I look more like myself now than I did a while back.

Reply to
Lar

I read up on crickets when one got into my house and I wanted to keep it as a pet. They are very short-lived, so the problem you envision may not occur at all. Unless, of course, it has in the past. :-)

Frogleg

Reply to
redclay13

keep the door closed. what makes you think they are eyeing your house?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

:) Get some of the sticky sheets that attract roaches and crickets and place :) them outside. It is much better to spread a good pelletized insecticide and :) wipe them all out.

Too much risk of harm to non target animals along with a windy day can ruin the glue boards with dirt and debris blown on them. The crickets will probably be coming in from great distances this time of year, attracted to the lights, not unusual seeing businesses using snow shovels to scoop them up at times, so stopping them totally with chemicals is an impossibility.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

While looking in the mirror a bit ago, I noticed that I look more like myself now than I did a while back.

Reply to
Lar

Animal liberation. Circumambulate while...never mind.

escapee

I have the coolest thing. It's very old. It's a two story cricket cage made of bamboo with little doors on either side that slide up and down. It has been one of my most treasured items for many years though I have never tried to catch and keep a cricket. I try to never kill them though.. it's bad luck.

Kate

"Frogleg" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 03:24:09 GMT, Holley wrote: | | >How can I catch crickets? There are 60 million of them in my flower | >beds and I DON'T want them coming in the house now that the weather is | >cooling. How can I trap them? | | I read up on crickets when one got into my house and I wanted to keep | it as a pet. They are very short-lived, so the problem you envision | may not occur at all. Unless, of course, it has in the past. :-) | |

SVTKate

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Are you trying to catch the 6 million outside or just keep them out of your house? For the latter, check around your foundation for small holes they can get in, especially around windows.

The few that get in when you open your door are easy to catch by hand. If it's hiding out of reach, let it be and hunt if down when it reappears. If you're really frustrated, try a vacuum cleaner, you can also suck up any spiders, flies, wasps that come in at this time of the year. :)

Reply to
Pen

My garden seems to have more now than last month, but not too bad as yet. occassioally one or two seem to get in to the house ...by osmosis??? and when they do, i spray them with either hair spray or detergent and that gets them and is safe for the environment. I dislike killing the little buggers as i visualize Jimminy Cricket of Pinnochio fame with his little green top hat but the little boogers eat holes in my quilts and blankets if i allow them to stay in the house. I also use hair spray to elimminate the occasional roach who gets beyond my boraxo barrier. Leo/lee

Reply to
Lee

Yep. That's the answer I needed -- hairspray! We've had the little critters in the past, and they sure do like quilts and blankets. They're worse than any moth, and there are repellants for moths!

Off to Wally World for hair spray to save my fabric collection.

Thanks

Reply to
Holley

African appetizers...

Orleans delights...
talking about Florida treats...
United States candy...
are definitely edible! Yumm!!! Search for cricket in the links above and you'll find some tasty recipes.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

Nice. :-)

Reply to